Monday, December 2, 2013

Helping your waistline survive the holidays

Tis, the season – for holiday cookies, office parties and gatherings featuring buffet tables groaning with treats, and, of course, egg nog……. It all adds up, and if you're like most Americans, you'll put on a pound or two by New Year's Day. Or not! Here come those words: moderation, portion control, will power….it’s not that you shouldn’t eat the food that you like – it’s more about the amount you eat. 

Some tips that work for me? I pre-eat! Sounds funny, but I try not to show up to a party ready to eat like farm animal. If I do show up hungry, I drink some water to help fill me up before I fill my plate. 

Also, go easy on the booze for a lot of reasons, one of which is empty calories. And when it comes to dessert, go for the one thing that you simply can’t live without, and even then, take a small portion and savor it. Unless we’re talking chocolate, in which case all bets are off, so…….         

No comments:

Post a Comment